RE: Top ten myths of technical communication

Subject: RE: Top ten myths of technical communication
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:55:48 -0500

Software Engineering methodology usually says that things go in this order:
1. Discovering user requirements
2. Developing specs
3. Writing code
4. (etc.)

I consider anyone developing software and documenting it who experience the process in the order shown above are very lucky.

My experience has shown that software is usually done in a more hapaazard manner:

1. Develop the barest of specifications in the vaguest terms.
2. Write the code.
3. Test the program/document the program.
4. Add features.
5. Fix bugs.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 until Marketing demands that it be released.
7. Discover user requriements through complaints to Customer Support group.

Scott
--
Scott Turner