Re: Sample Writing Tests

Subject: Re: Sample Writing Tests
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:41:57 -0500

Just to throw in an aside, Connie, if you had a BA let's say, and you were asked
to do an 8th grade level editing, math, and spelling test, what would you say?

I think this is what people, including me, are saying we wouldn't do.

Now, I was applying for a web re-design contract and they were having all
candidates create 1 page, the first one, of their web page to "really" evaluate
their work. Ugh. But I did it, because I wanted the job.

Another situation I was in was where a publisher needed a co-author for a
technical person who couldn't write but was writing a book. It took me four
hours to re-write a chapter for them. I didn't get the job, but I told her how
long it took me, and she reimbursed me for my time. Wow! What a nice company, I
would love to work for them.

So, in the above instances, yes, I will take a "test," but not in the remedial
way, and maybe that's where Johnny and Marilynne are coming from.

Michele

nope, still not done: www.krautgrrl.com