RE: Simultaneous Author Access to files

Subject: RE: Simultaneous Author Access to files
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:00:42 -0400

Does anyone remember a program that has changed more times than a dollar
bill over the course of it's life called Folio Views?

It is a search software that was originally produced by a company out in
Provo, Utah, matter of fact just down the street from the WordPerfect
offices. Since those days (I'm referring to about 6 years ago), Folio has
changed hands and I've lost track of who owns it and what it's doing these
days.

The one thing I was most impressed by Folio Views when I was authoring and
programming in/for it was that it had an ability to use "shadow" files.
Where a user of the original file would annotate, add or otherwise do
something to the original file and the changes would be stored on the user's
local hard drive. When the original file was opened up again, the shadow
file would overlay whatever new changes or what have you over the existing
information in the main file. This was handy also for updates to the main
file when the main file didn't have a need to be updated completely, just a
small portion of it.

The really cool thing about the software was that you also had the ability
to integrate those user changes into the main file by doing a merge after
you had approved those changes.

Just a thought, but I'm wondering if anyone else remembers this software and
why don't other programs incorporate this ability?

FWIW,

sanjay