Re: Help! On Help

Subject: Re: Help! On Help
From: "Patricia Jackson" <patrj -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:52:43 -0400

_HTML Help_ is a Microsoft product. _HTML help_ comes in several flavors,
compiled and Active-X enabled. It produces a browser-based help system with
table of contents, index, glossary, etc., similar in appearance to WinHelp.

Doc-to-help creates it; HTML Help Workshop (an MS product) creates it.
DreamWeaver does not create _HTML Help_ but you could edit the .htm files
with it. It seems to me that in spite of the generic-sounding name, you
would need MS products (Doc-to-help works on top of MS Word) to create _HTML
help_, just as you need MS Word to create an MS Word document.

Of course, you can create your own html help system with a ToC frame and a
topic frame. The index and glossary would be harder, I guess; certainly
tedious. But then again, any but the simplest HTML hard coding is tedious.

I find (and my clients like) _HTML help_ more useful than the generic HTML
help produced by Doc-To-Help where the ToC is simply a page with links to
each individual topic page; topic pages have links to sub-topic pages; the
ToC doesn't display in a frame alongside topic pages. However, since I
don't like to be held captive by MS I am turning to XML as an alternative to
both MS _HTML Help_, and Doc-to-help (which in turn relies on MSWord)

> Martha Silverspring wrote:
> >
> > How do I learn to write HTML help without a tool like RoboHELP or
Dreamweaver?
> > ... Is there an easy way to learn to write HTML help?

Sandy Harris replied...
> I'm not sure what you mean by "HTML help". Do you just mean help text in
HTML format