Re: Getting High and Writing

Subject: Re: Getting High and Writing
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Xenophane Xenophane <xenophanex -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Long before Microsoft came into existence and before HP shoved their
> politically correct agenda down our throats, writers and engineers
> would often attend parties where a table was full of coke and the
room was
> filled with smoke.
>
> Free expression ruled and writers and engineers worked together to
> produce an array of products....yes, in their drug-induced state
they
> produced some of the best things that we now take for granted....or
have
> you never heard that Silicon Valley's Cocaine culture produced some
of the
> best ideas?
>
> I bet their are writers out there that still get stoned and produce
> credible, relevant, and accurate documentation.

Ah, to be a Romantic again. I suppose it is possible to create useful
products in some sort of drugged state, but I would suspect that they
only became viable products after 'sober' reflection and other forms of
actually doing the work.

I also suspect that there are writers who can "produce credible,
relevant, and accurate documentation." But I can't help but wonder if
it will be documentation of the product that NEEDS to be documented, or
if the work will be done on time.

I can promise you this: they won't do it on my dime. And if I have no
other say about it, then I'll be the one who goes.

Leaving aside the Romantic notions of a time when the Counter
Culture--and its drugs--were pure, mixing drugs and work is a bad idea,
whether the drugs are legal or not.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer