Re: Illegal interview question

Subject: Re: Illegal interview question
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- mail -dot- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:53:11 -0600

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen and I've been looking for work in the States. I've
gone to maybe a dozen interviews, and at almost every one of them I've been
asked either if I was Canadian, or if I was not an American citizen, and
what kind of visa I needed. So I've always sportively answered the questions
[original phrase: I've always answered the questions sportively. Which do
you prefer?] The visa isn't an issue, as I explain the TN visa applies to
tech writers and it's a relatively easy one to get. I just found out,
however, that asking for my citizenship or otherwise inquiring into my
unamericanness is illegal. What should I do if this comes up in the future?
What should I have done already?

According to U.S. law, companies are required to ascertain if you are legally able to work in the U.S.. This is due to an immigration law passed a few years ago.

Not only is it legal for a company to inquire into your citizenship, they are required to validate your citizenship and work status.

While it rankles, our friends the Republicans, who have been hooting and hollering about illegal aliens for the last 15 years, have made the requirement to prove your status necessary.

Your papers comrade.

Please.

Scott
--
Scott Turner

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.