RE: Referral fees

Subject: RE: Referral fees
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:02:34 -0500

Thanks for singling me out!!!

While it seems IDe ranked at the top of the list for rewarding referrals,
let me point out a couple of things - and why the rewards ALL seem to be
rather paltry.

Let's say we recruit a technical writer who makes $70,000 (not unusual for
this market in the Boston area). 30% of that - an agency recruiting fee -
would amount to $21,000. That happens the be the amount in prizes we awarded
yesterday when we had our drawing. Believe me, that sort of figure whips
people into a frenzy! 42% (24 of 57) of the people we hired were the result
of referrals.

And we saved our company a TON of money in doing so. Figuring an average
salary of $50,000 (LOW!) and an average fee of 30%, the fee per hire would
have been $15,000 times 24 hires = $360,000. Not bad for a $21,000
investment that we paid to our own people instead of an agency ...

Also, just to make this even more relevant - we do not distinguish between
ANY hires in our company. EVERY person we hire is a member of our team, and
receives the same referral rewards, and every one is treated equally. It
does not matter if the person you refer is a CFO (we ARE Looking for one and
I could use a referral!) or a receptionist - they are all treated equally.
The message this sends is that ALL people at our company are highly valued.

So, let's hope there's some ammunition for you to take to your company to
increase the referral rewards they pay ... it's money well spent!

John

John Garison
Documentation Manager
IDe