Re: Nice toy for a whirler

Subject: Re: Nice toy for a whirler
From: Bruce <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:49:16 -0800

Sandy Harris wrote:

> Multiple monitors are wondeful for whirling. You're editing your doc on one
> screen while the other displays the application, or the spec, or the SME's
> email comments, or a browser's view of your HTML, or ... Or you're handling
> email on one while browsing for info on the other, or Using Windows apps on
> one while the other does VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) to your
> Linux box or ..

Multiple desktops/workspaces are almost (but not quite) as useful as
multiple monitors. You can leave documents that you're using on one
desktop while working in another, and not have to worry about
sorting through a clutter of open windows.

Multiple desktops are standard on KDE and GNOME desktops on Linux.
In fact, you can add as many as you want, limited only by your
computer's memory. However, the equivalent exists for Windows, and
probably for the Mac as well. I know that Object Desktop from
Stardock (www.stardock.com) has multiple desktops, and ATI used to
include them with the drivers for some of its video cards.

Anyway, the only add-on that I can think of that is more useful is a
multiple clipboard, like CopyPaste. This shareware program lets you
have up to ten clipboards at a time, and to load pre-defined ones.
It's invaluable for copy-editing.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"I can see the lights in the distance
Trembling in the dark cloak of night,
Candles and laterns are dancing, dancing,
A waltz on All Soul's Night."
- Loreena McKennit, "All Soul's Night"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230