Re: Perl, ASP or What

Subject: Re: Perl, ASP or What
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:25:38 -0500

There are many ways to accomplish what you're talking about.

One scenario would put a dedicated computer out on the floor that would
interrogate each machine via Ethernet. Each machine would run its own little
script to respond to the interrogation, and the master would then put the
data into a buffer or database, accessible to an httpd on the master, which
would then also be accessible to the querying computers, making the various
data buffers or database entries into HTML pages on demand. You could
program that capability with any number of scripting languages: Python,
Perl, PHP, etc.

The tricky thing isn't the TCP/IP connectivity, but the gathering of data
across a network and storing it reliably. Would you want this data stored
for a long period, for analysis? Or just long enough to view it?

There are commercial packages designed to do this sort of thing, too, but
few of them are flexible enough to fit onto Linux machines and work in the
environment you describe. And from my own personal experience, I can tell
you that unless your controller software is network-ready, you're in for a
wonderfully fulfilling and educational experience that may last, oh, some
years. My background is heavily in manufacturing and automation, and I'm not
sure I could cost-justify doing such work myself.

In your shoes I think I'd consider outsourcing this work. A company called
Flexware Automation does this kind of thing routinely. In the end, they can
probably save you money by getting it all done right the first time. They're
at 317.773.1500 or http://www.flexint.com.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com