Re: Perl, ASP or What

Subject: Re: Perl, ASP or What
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:33:21 -0600

>I've got to expand my horizons soon and find a solution - but I'm hoping
>that someone out there could point me in the right direction.
>The problem is that we need to create an interactive web page that will
>monitor numerous control machines on a factory floor by using an intranet
>link.

Necessary details are completely missing from this scenario, but if it were
me I'd start with a product called LabVIEW from National Instruments
(http:///www.ni.com). Among other things it does data collection (either
directly or via communications over several different protocols) and yes,
it runs on Linux (as well as Windows and MacOS). It also contains a web
server for serving the information up "live" to machines with web browsers.

No idea of your technical expertise, so no idea it you can pull this off,
but LV is an icon-driven programming environment, in which you simply draw
lines connecting various functions (called "vi's" for "virtual
instruments") to achieve your aim. And it's both very powerful and very
flexible, as well as being designed from the ground up to do this dort of
thing.

NOTE: I have no finiancial, biological, or personally profitable connection
with National Instruments. I just like the product, and it seems to fit
your requirement.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224