Re: Intranet evaluation

Subject: Re: Intranet evaluation
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:07:18 -0800 (PST)

"Debbie Pesach" wrote ...

> I've been given the task of evaluating intranet packages and then
> administrating the content of the intranet for my company. I've narrowed
> down my choices to two "in-a-box" products, IntraSmart and PlanetIntra. Is
> anyone using one of these products? Please give me your evaluation.
>
> I had previously written about this but received no responses.

An intranet site is technically no different than an Internet site. Any package
that can build an Internet site can build an intranet site. So you should
probably look at real web tools like FrontPage or Homesite.

The two products you mention are just Application Service Providers that do a
lot of the dirty work for you in building an intranet site. As with many such
packages you will become quickly hogtied to their technologies and their
mindset.

Incidentally, IntraSmart's web site is remarkably devoid of any technical
information about their product. PlanetIntra is just an ASP offering "Intranet"
packages.

You would be MUCH better off to build an internal intranet site. I would not
waste a time with these ASP services which will likely cost you a lot of money
and you'll learn NOTHING about web development and site building in the
process.

Go get a server and a copy of FrontPage and build your own intranet server.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230