Re: FW: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: Re: FW: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:09:39 -0800

Bill Swallow wrote:

> Yes, let's all just run away from all our problems and
> not even try to approach them reasonably and perhaps
> try to change the situation for the better!

I haven't missed your sarcasm. And I agree that people shouldn't run
at the first sign of trouble.

Still, let's face it: 40 hours a week is a large chunk of your life.
Why should you waste a quarter of eack week on sub-standard
conditions unless absolutely necessary? And while I like to stand up
for myself, I don't want to be on a constant crusade when I'm at a
job. What I want is interesting work, interesting people to do it
with, and decent pay for my efforts.

And, right now, tech-writers don't have to endure hassle. In many
parts of North America, you can walk out of one job and into another
within a week or two. I'm sure that this situation is very
temporary, but why not enjoy this power over your own affairs while
you have it? Personally, after being in the academic contracting
ghetto for several years, and growing weary of waiting for tenure
and my 80th birthday (and expecting the latter to come first), I
LIKE this power over my own life!

It's not just tech writers doing the job-hopping, either. For many
jobs in high tech, two years is a long time
to stay in high-tech. According to a recent study, even CEOs (at
least in Canada) tend to move on after 3 to 5 years.

I suggest that, beyond a certain point, anyone staying at a tech
writing job they dislike is doing so for personal reasons. Possibly,
they're stubborn, or they simply like the thin illusion of security.
Or, more likely, they simply haven't realized that there are
alternatives.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"A polite conformity with the notions of fools is a necessary
protection."
- Edgar Pangborn, "Davy"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230