Re: a question about "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: Re: a question about "atmospheric" benefits
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:15:42 -0800

Kim Roper wrote:

> Don't forget stock options (especially popular with pre-IPO companies).

I don't know: does anybody take a job for the stock options these
days? I've heard so many jokes referring to them as lottery tickets
that I've got to doubt it. I think that most people recognize how
little they mean. Often, stock options don't make up for the extra
hours you work to earn them. And, even if they do, your riches are
largely on paper, because the company restricts when you can sell
them so that stock prices aren't driven down.

I suspect that the main reason for stock options is to encourage
people to linger with the company rather than job hunting. At most
places, you have to put in three to five years' service to exercise
your options.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"A polite conformity with the notions of fools is a necessary
protection."
- Edgar Pangborn, "Davy"

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230