RE: "atmospheric" benefits

Subject: RE: "atmospheric" benefits
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:24:22 +1000

Here in Australia 4 weeks "recreation leave" and 2 weeks "sick leave" are the normal minimums. In addition, we used to have (and some people still do) a "long service leave" of 3 months at full pay or 6 months at half pay after x years, where x can vary from 10 upwards. Of course, these days people in computer industries often change jobs before they reach long-service status, even if their company provides it.

People in remote areas generally get an extra week or two recreation leave a year, and sometimes plane fares (for the employee and his/her partner) to the nearest city once or twice a year. Remote areas means most of the country! I don't know how many people in the computer industry would get those benefits, except for those who work for a mining company.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/

At 09:57 8/11/00 -0800, Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com> wrote:

... any company
that offers significant vacation would have a HUGE advantage in my book. 3
weeks of PTO seems to be the norm. That used to be 2 weeks vacation and 1
week sick time.
But having a number of friends from the UK and Germany who expect much more
vacation than that (and often get it) has raised the bar for me. 4 weeks PTO
would be a reasonable start (especially since I'm rarely sick enough to not
come in to work).