RE: The Origins of Techwriting (WAS:Re: Techwr-1 polls)

Subject: RE: The Origins of Techwriting (WAS:Re: Techwr-1 polls)
From: "Wally Glassett" <wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:59:24 -0800

Of course technical writing is older than the computer. Probably almost as
old as engineering drawings, parts lists and schematics (not just electrical
ones). IMO, software documentation isn't boring so much as it tends to be
repetitious. I mean, how many times have we all written about, diagrammed or
taken screen shots of 'Click on _____.' Whatever is in the blank might be
extremely interesting, but the description and presentation of the process
is pretty redundant. OTOH, how many really different ways are there to
describe how one starts a car, unless you own a Saab, of course (don't know
if that's still true). :-)

Wally Glassett
Tech Doc-It, Inc.
wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net <mailto:wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>
(707) 769-9418

John Gilger wrote:

If the truth be told, documenting software is boring when compared to
documenting hardware or complex electro-mechanical equipment like that used
in a refinery, electrical generation plant, or manufacturing facility.
However, software companies seem to pay more, so those of us having a
mercenary streak in our souls go for the money rather than the interesting
work.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230