Server vs. server? Take II.

Subject: Server vs. server? Take II.
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:00:25 -0500

Josee Morel, responding to my suggestion that you refer to the software by
name rather than explicitly and repeatedly calling it a server, wonders
<<That could work but... what about a client and server product with the
same name!!!!??? It happens. I vote for 'server program or application on a
server machine'>>

Agreed. That's certainly the easiest solution. As I noted, calling one the
computer and the other the software is my preference, but in the original
question, that was described as forbidden by management. The
passive-aggressive approach is to write the documentation as requested,
without explaining which is which, and let the reviewers point out the
idiocy of forbidding the use of adjectives that make it clear what you're
talking about. A more productive approach would depend on the specific
problem; for example, in a procedure or reference, one possibility would be
to use a table format (with the first column containing the step number or
command, the second column containing the details for the software, and the
third column containing details for the hardware).

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."--Goethe

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230