Re: Displays versus Appears-Which One?

Subject: Re: Displays versus Appears-Which One?
From: "Mike Starr" <writstar -at- wi -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:34:33 -0600

you say...
>> My last tech editor would ding me if I used 'appears'
>> instead of 'displays' when describing the action a
>> window or other grahical element "takes" (for lack of
>> a better word) when you click on it. She said to use
>> 'displays' instead. I got into thaet habit.
>>
>> On this job, the other two tech writers say they have
>> never heard of this, and consider 'appears' to be
>> fine.
>>
>> Example: Select ABC. The GHI window displays, on
>> which you can..."
>>
>> as opposed to "Select ABC. The GHI window appears, on
>> which you can..."
>>
>> Which one?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mario

Well, in spite of conventional wisdom that advises against
anthropomorphizing, I always do it this way:

"Click the Bump button. SuperWhiz displays a Bump dialog box similar to
the one shown below."

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230