RE: Problem with Word object in PageMaker

Subject: RE: Problem with Word object in PageMaker
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:39:57 -0800

As tiresome as it sounds,,, you'll be much better off copying the contents
of the table from Word into Table Editor in PM, 'cuz a TableEditor-created
table works well in PM, while other objects may behave badly, as you've
experienced... it's not worth trying to make an object conform in PM when
you can easily make a far better one, in this case a table w/ TableEditor,
that PM will let you use with few if any problems.
TableEditor is funky in some respects, BUT it works in PM quite well. It's
worth making sure you have the latest upgrade as well, FWIW, I think it's
Adobe Table 3.04.

I've had good luck copying multiple rows & columns from Word tables into
TableEditor, but I'm careful to copy less than the entire table's worth at a
stroke, since it's safer to make a few pastes than try to do it one swoop.
As you know, MS_Word includes/carries add'l data in its format/style info
that's encoded in a final paragraph mark/location, so there can be many
things odd about an "OK looking" table or whatever in Word that ends up
looking/acting weird anywhere else. It's worth carefully copying
cell/row/column contents [text], but not a one-click selection all the way
across the row/column including the outside marks, to avoid carrying this
extraneous info across applications.

Oh and BTW, just 'cuz sth. looks OK on yr monitor is no guarantee of
*anything*.
I meet non-WYSIWYG artifacts allatime. F'r'instance, we see weird mashed
characters, esp'ly accented foreign ones, in our PDFs intermittently, but
they print out OK & display OK on other monitors,,, so I'm semi-certain it's
a display issue [watch out for HP Vectras' built-in Matrox Productiva
graphics cards].

Al

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230