ADMIN: About civility

Subject: ADMIN: About civility
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:18:58 -0700

Gang,
I think this discussion, while informative, has
run its course. Please continue any discussions
on this topic _offlist_.

As summarized by many people, the essence of my point
is that there's a difference between disagreement
and personal attack/abuse. Note that I do NOT
recommend that others attempt to emulate his posting
techniques, but you can look to many Andrew Plato postings
as an example of where the line between healthy argument
and overt abuse lies. While there's no lack of
expression of opinion, Andrew stops at ridiculing
stereotypes, personalities we all know well, or general
concepts. He does not usually proceed to ridiculing specific
people or personally identifiable characteristics, or
individual personalities.

E.g., he might well decide to point out that listowners
alternate between unwarranted optimism about human
nature and ill-advised attempts to squelch human nature,
but he's unlikely to name names, pick apart my specific
messages, or veer from discussing concepts to discussing
my personal foibles.

Again, please take any further discussions offline.

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
"I know I'm doing my job right when everyone thinks I'm playing
favorites with everyone else." --Eric

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230