Tech writer's bookshelf--what else do we need?

Subject: Tech writer's bookshelf--what else do we need?
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:18:32 -0500

Hello,

For the past couple of weeks, we have been rehashing some of the imperative
resources for the tech writer's bookshelf.

There are several prominent authors of tech comm resources in the forefront (Hackos,
Horton, etc.) whose names always appear on any TW list, and some excellent resources
in the Wiley/Sons or Allyn/Bacon series that are frequently mentioned. In addition,
relevant works authored by experts from other fields are also highly regarded
(Cooper, Carroll, Shneiderman, Norman, etc.) by TWs. And there are always several
books on software that are recommended to TWs (i.e., _Javascript Bible_; _Adobe
Framemaker Classroom in a Book_; _Mastering Word 97_; etc.)

Do any of you perceive an area of TW/Tech comm that is lacking sufficient coverage
in the industry books? (For example, there might be a resource for international
technical communications, and there might be a resource for project management, but
there might not be an existing resource for international project management.) Are
there any particular aspects of technical communication that you would like to see
addressed or covered more in-depth in TW industry books?

Topics might include tools, technologies, or techniques that would benefit from more
research and explanation, or new hybrid topics arising from the growth of the TW's
role in project development. Topics might run the gamut from highly abstract
concepts that warrant discussion to narrowly focused issues that TWs deal with on an
everyday basis.

Please respond to me directly (lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com) or cc me in your response to
the list. If the topic generates enough interest, I'd be happy to provide a summary
of responses. Thanks!

Regards,

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer (part of a skeleton crew on the Friday after a U.S. holiday)
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and
not of Paychex, Inc.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230