"Chapter" vs "Appendix"

Subject: "Chapter" vs "Appendix"
From: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:57:53 -0500

I searched the archives, but didn't find anything on this topic.

At the moment, most of the books in our documentation suite contain several
chapters, and at least one appendix. But I'm now starting to question
whether it's necessary to make the distinction.

When I first set up our templates, I decided that Troubleshooting should be
in an appendix, rather than a chapter. I also created an appendix for
additional information that was helpful, but not directly a description of
the tasks in the software. But what's the difference? As long as each
grouping of information is presented in its own chapter, isn't that
distinct enough?

I'm curious - what do other people do?

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation