MS Word Delimma

Subject: MS Word Delimma
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:29:10 -0700

Our graduate school has specifications for Thesis
formatting. The specs were created in the days when
typewriters were more prevalent than computers. I have
been volunteered to create templates for these documents,
but keep running into the same problem.

The students must use MS Word if they are going to use the

College's computers to write their Theses (not my rule).
After hours of fighting, I figured out how to get the page
numbering correct. Now I am working with margins. The
margins on the first page of any main document have to be
set as follows:

Top 1.75
Left 1.5
Right 1.0
Bottom 1.0

For all subsequent pages, the top margin has to be 1.0. In
the past students got around this by creating their first
page and printing it separately. However, now all students
are required to submit their documents electronically,
meaning they can only submit one main document (The
abstracts, copyrights, etc can be submitted separately). Is
there a way to do this without involving other software?
Everytime I try to set the second page's margins, it
affects the first page. The only option I have found in
Word's (not much) Help is to make sure that the different
first page option is checked under Format/Layout. Checking
that box has no bearing on the margins (or at least it
seems that way here).

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I checked the
archives and after going through 200 emails, I couldn't
find anything helpful. If this is in the archives can
someone please tell me where?

Help please. Once this is done I have to provide training
and documentation for it so this is a major bottleneck.

thanks in advance
chas

"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything
good to do."
-Ferris B.

chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu