Re: Do you PDF at ver 3 or ver 4?

Subject: Re: Do you PDF at ver 3 or ver 4?
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:59:30 -0500

I think Randall may be on to something. His HP printer has a collator (optional delivery device). So when the PS file that goes to the printer says to collate, the printer knows what to do with it. But for those of us who don't have that option, the command is meaningless.

Now this is a bug in the Acrobat 4 PS output, because the PCL command for printing multiple sets of the same document is straightforward (Heck, even Word knows how to use it). But someone at Adobe failed to distinguish the two meanings of "collate" (to wit: (1) send copy 1 of sheet 1 to the top slot of the collator, copy 2 of sheet 1 to the second slot, etc.; and (2) print a complete set and send it to the output tray, then print a second complete set and send it to the output tray, etc.) and programmed the "Collate" control to do the first but not the second. I assume the same holds true for Xerox printers as it does for HP printers. Now that we know what the problem is, I think someone at Adobe ought to be able to fix it. Anyone care to get in touch with Adobe about this one?

Dick