Re: List Lurkers (Added Value)

Subject: Re: List Lurkers (Added Value)
From: TSilvergirl -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 15:17:47 EST

In a message dated 12/4/00 11:38:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cnbrath -at- cbel -dot- cit -dot- nih -dot- gov writes:

<< A lurker might be your next co-worker, boss, professor -- or maybe an SME
.... the more familiar they are with technical writing, hopefully the better
our
all of our products will be. A lurker could be the person to convince their
company to advertise with this list, or might have a great tip to put on
techwrl-r's calendar -- or might write one of the articles at the techwrl-r's
web site. A lurker might be a student who can't answer questions right now,
but
is able to get started quickly because s/he has more information than the
average entry-level writer.>>

Well said! I'm a lurker/student. I subscribe to the list to learn all that
I can, be it the specialized language of the industry (I, too, wondered what
SME meant and watched someone else get excoriated for asking), software with
which I should have at least a passing familiarity, style guides I should
have on my bookshelf, the majority opinion on core skills for technical
communicators, etc. My hope is that I will require far less of a manager or
colleague's time in my first job because of the valuable tips and advice I've
gleaned from the list.

Given the fact that I'm a student, I think it would be inappropriate to make
a habit of posting to the list; I'm lurking to learn. Once I am in a
position to post something of use to the majority of the list members, I will
happily do so. In the meantime, I'm just grateful for the opportunity to
sift through the contents of more educated minds.

Christy Turner

It's not the thickness of your skin that counts,
but the thickness of your asbestos Underoos!
--Bill Swallow