Re: List Lurkers (Added Value)

Subject: Re: List Lurkers (Added Value)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 12:56:51 -0800

TSilvergirl -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

> Given the fact that I'm a student, I think it would be inappropriate to make
> a habit of posting to the list; I'm lurking to learn. Once I am in a
> position to post something of use to the majority of the list members, I will
> happily do so. In the meantime, I'm just grateful for the opportunity to
> sift through the contents of more educated minds.

Personally, I'd like to see more lurkers participating in
discussions. For one thing, the more points of view the list has,
the more insight we'll have and the more likely that nothing
important will be left out of a discussion.

For another, those who are still in school may have some valuable
knowledge. Their knowledge may be more current than that of those in
the field, and they may have a better grasp of new concepts.

As for the fear of a harsh reply, remember that too harsh a reply
will be rebuked by the listowner. Also, if you look back, you'll see
that most of the replies that have received a harsh answer have been
ones in which somebody asked for a consensus decision instead of
making a choice that is part of their job, or else asked a common
question that could either be found in the archives of the list or
in a general net search. Not that a harsh reply is justified in
these cases, but, avoid these two categories of questions, and you
should be safe.

When I taught at university, I used to say that the only stupid
question was one that you didn't ask when you needed an answer. It's
your choice, of course, but I think that you and everyone else would
learn more if you stopped lurking and plunged into the discussion.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The squire has a piece of paper that says he owns the land,
The bishop has a bible that says our souls are damned,
Mackenzie had a printing press, it's soaking in the bay,
And if Mackenzie comes again, there will be hell to pay."
-Dennis Lee, "Mackenzie"