Re: What, Me Think? (was RE: clarification needed)

Subject: Re: What, Me Think? (was RE: clarification needed)
From: anna fowler <anna_fowler1 -at- excite -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:02:12 -0800 (PST)

I am reading everything that everyone has commented on about the lack of
critical thinking skills of people my age or younger. (I am 27). I find it
very hard to swallow. Since anyone older than me taught me,whose fault is it
really? The students or the elders? I would like to think that I am abnormal
then most...I was raised to have critical thinking skills...is it solely the
teachers responsibility to teach a child? I think not...
TV was not allowed in my house (until I was 16),but we did have a computer
in our house (since the late 70's, for my father's job, and it wasn't a
commadore64)I was required to read a book (and not a Judy Bloom)a week and
report on it about the social and ethical conetations that were in it.
I know the anwers to the quiz but that isn't what is important. Isn't it
more inportant to know how to find the answers and the significance of each
event instead of memorizing the dates? After all isn't that part of our job
as technical communicators? To be able to find the information needed to
fulfill the requirements of a document?

I guess all I am saying is it isn't only the teachers at fault, it is the
whole society...(parents at large) we need to make the children WANT to
learn...and they will, but to keep giving them the easy way out (i.e a
research paper that regurgitates information) is not the answer...

And I am sorry, but I agree that if something is misspelled then it is
worng.( I really stink at spelling and noone ever made me try harder...my
papers were never graded poorly because of misspellings, now...wordcheck is
my favorite tool:))

Just my opinion
Anna

Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet