Re: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier? (Mild Vent)

Subject: Re: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier? (Mild Vent)
From: anna fowler <anna_fowler1 -at- excite -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:55:00 -0800 (PST)

I just graduated in May with a degree in Professional and Technical
Communications. I contracted for a year while I was still in school.
Throughout my 4 yrs. in school I worked as an intern with 4 companies in the
area. After I graduated I wanted to find a job that offered full-time and
benefits. I didn't want to move far away from home so I took a job in a
small town in PA. I was offered 32k with full relocation and a 5k signing
bonus. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Then I went onto web sites
that had the "going rate" for a tech writer with less than 3 yrs.
experience. The area in which I was hired...the going rate is 45k... I felt
that I was being severely underpaid, so I didn't stay long at the position.
I quickly started looking for a new position. I am now making in the upper
50's ...and now I feel I am being compensated correctly for my position.

You have a right to be upset about salaries...especially after being in the
position for 10 years. (You should be making at least 70-90k.) but
understand inflation...and simple economics...supply and demand. Ten years
ago the demand for a tech writer wasn't as big as it is now. Do I deserve
the money? Of course I feel I do, and don't think that when my yr. review is
upon me I won't ask for more...BUT I perform well above the standards that
my company has set, so it is a win-win situation. I do feel that 70k is
really high for a newbie...but how much does it cost to sustain a normal
middle class life in DC?

Just my thoughts...
Anna

Send a cool gift with your E-Card