Lead time between code freeze and release

Subject: Lead time between code freeze and release
From: Cindy Hudson <chudson -at- ECS-INC -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:26:51 -0500

This ties in somewhat with Pam's question yesterday. My group has been
tasked with changing the way we produce documentation. Currently, because of
the size of the group and the size of the task, we develop extensive release
notes with each product. Manuals are updated as soon after the release as
possible. With 3 writers/1 manager and 25,000 pages of documentation on four
major products, this is a big job.

We're trying to turn this around to update all the manuals with each new
release. Currently, our lead time from code freeze to release is anywhere
from 4 hours to one week. (And we get that week only when we're lucky.)

How much lead time is common for other writers on very large software
projects?

BTW, I'm also looking into additional staffing, better DTP tools, and
anything else I can manage to make this a more streamlined process.