RE: Lead time between code freeze and release

Subject: RE: Lead time between code freeze and release
From: Cindy Hudson <chudson -at- ECS-INC -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:56:44 -0500

> From: Tom Murrell
> This may seem like a trivial question, but have you developed any idea
> of how much time you need between code freeze and software release?

Since I've only been thinking about this since late yesterday afternoon
in between meetings and working on other things -- quite honestly, no.
I had hoped to get some feedback from the list on what was typical for
large software documentation projects so I'd have a place to start a
tentative plan.

This is a very new thing for us. Previously, we wrote release notes at
the same time development was occurring and scrambled to finish by
the time the software was ready to go out the door. Obviously, we'll
have to continue that practice with the manuals. But it seems a little
insane to me to update an entire document set of 6,000 pages in the
same period of time that we wrote a 200 page release document. Especially
since I can only assign one writer to update those 6,000 pages.

By the time I finish, my plan will include how much extra staffing,
how much lead time, and any new tools we'll need to do this. But I'm
obviously not ready to write a plan today.

> From: Pam Mandel [mailto:pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com]
>
> Cindy, do your folks not fully test each release?

Yes, testing occurs during development with system testing
towards the end of the development cycle.