Deconstruction and Technical Writing?

Subject: Deconstruction and Technical Writing?
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- Anheuser-Busch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:31:53 -0600

We often discuss word usage and the importance of using the right word for the
action and the audience. I was wondering if anyone on the list has any
experience with "deconstruction." I was exposed this type literary criticism in
college. It is an approach where the critic interprets a text by playing with
the varieties of meaning for a word and how the word-meanings change or impact
the sentence which in turn impacts how the paragraph and text as a whole is
experienced. It leads to wonderful discussions about interpretation. Again, it
seems to me very applicable to technical writing where the meaning of each word
must be as useful to the audience as possible.

Lisa A. Miller
Technical ! Writer
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Packaging Team - Corporate Engineering
mailto:lisa -dot- miller -at- anheuser-busch -dot- com
(314) 865-8904

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin