RE: conference fees

Subject: RE: conference fees
From: Robbie Cooper <Robbie -dot- Cooper -at- pervasive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:58:07 -0600

Mr. Plato wrote:

<What really cheesed me about STC was how I felt suckered into speaking.

About three months before the conference, a member emailed me and said:
"hey,
speak for us." I felt honored and dutiful submitted an idea to them.>

Andrew, I am sure you have already filed this episode under "Next time..."

But it makes me wonder: when you are approached to do any type of work where
you think there is an implied reparation from the benefactor of your work
(whether it be money, paid expenses, free food, etc.) don't you usually
negotiate and confirm this before you begin the work? For instance, if
company ABC calls me up and says, "Mr. Cooper, we would like for you to
update a manual for us", then I assume that they intend to pay me. But just
in case, I always make sure we agree upon the amount and type of reparation.
("Yes, I will update your User Guide in exchange for 5 large buckets of M&Ms
and a case of Dr. Pepper.")

So, for all of us...when asked to speak at a conference: Find out what, if
any, payment or expenses you will receive for your efforts. If not, do not
be surprised nor upset when none are offered.