RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Robbie Cooper <Robbie -dot- Cooper -at- pervasive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:12:37 -0600

Dick Margulis wrote:

>I spent three years full time in the antiwar movement and my résumé says
so. If that's going to be a problem, I, too, probably won't want to work
there.>

Unless you are applying for a job in a political party or movement, I think
that listing involvement in political organizations on your resume is a bad
idea. The old adage that you should refrain from discussing politics and
religion in the office is a good idea.

You never know when someone will be opposed to your views (that have nothing
at all to do with your ability to perform your job). And just as you were
not inclined to accept a job at a weapons manufacture...a hiring manager or
interviewer, who happens to be a disabled veteran (which I am), might not
want to work with you.

I mention my military service on my resume because my MOS as a combat medic
(and current certification as an EMT) illustrates experience in medical
terminology and technology. Answering the old "Do you work well under
pressure?" interview question is a simple matter of pointing at my resume:
"Will people be shooting at me in the office? Will I need to triage injured
co-workers? Will decisions I make in my cubicle determine whether people
live or die?" I always laugh at this question. I have been under some stress
and pressure as a technical writer, but nothing - not even close - to what I
have experienced as a combat medic and EMT.