Re: conference fees

Subject: Re: conference fees
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:38:08 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net ("Jane Bergen") writes:
>I'm curious....has STC ever said WHY they require speakers to pay? I
>certainly hope someone from the national committee is lurking here and
>sees the discontent. This unusual arrangement may be the reason we
>sometimes get speakers who are ...well, "not so hot."

My guess would be that they require speakers to pay because
most of their speakers are members who have chosen to submit
papers or run tutorials, but who are also attending the
conference and participating in/listening to other sessions.
I think it's more on the model of people who both participate
in and contribute to a community.

I imagine they *do* pay their keynote speaker; other speakers
(at International STC, at least) are people who have chosen to
speak, not people who have been invited by the organization to
do a presentation.

>Most of the speakers are pretty good, and consider that, as one consultant
>mentioned, they not only have to pay their conference fees, airfare, and
>hotel...but they are not getting paid for "time off" their regular jobs
>either. Most lug along their own equipment and often arrange their own
>printing for their handouts (*surely* they do get reimbursed for that,
>right?).

Guess again - no reimbursements for handouts that I know of. At
least I've never gotten any.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html