RE: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest

Subject: RE: FW: New TECHWR-L Poll Quest
From: "Wally Glassett" <wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:41:55 -0800

Asking a developer if they are knowledgeable about some function or
technique in some language tends to be a more specific question that should
have a specific response/answer, as compared to asking how one would do a
document. I am usually asked how I would go about producing a document, and
I think that's fair game because I can describe the processes I normally use
to gather and organize the information/content, as well as
techniques/approaches to presenting that information. IMO, discussing that,
along with reviewing my samples, constitutes a fair and reasonable "test" of
whether I know what I'm doing or not.

However, I have virtually no idea how often, or if, developers are asked to
write code during interviews, or if they bring "portfolios" of code samples
with them to interviews.

Any input(s) from the developers out there?

Wally Glassett
Tech Doc-It, Inc.
wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net <mailto:wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>

Connie wrote:

Whirlers:

Damien's and others' answers indicate that developers often get tested for
proficiency--which makes me wonder why so many tech writers are offended by
writing tests. If the development staff takes some sort of test to prove
their proficiency, what makes writers so special? And no, I don't mean "how
to tie a shoe" type tests. I mean tests that show ability to grasp the
overall concept of the product, write some basic procedural and conceptual
information, and ask questions that demonstrate curiosity.

hoping it doesn't stir up too much of a ruckus

Connie Giordano