RE: The Business of Conferences

Subject: RE: The Business of Conferences
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:36:38 -0800

George F. Hayhoe provided some interesting data about the business side of
conferences. In part, he wrote:

| To defray or completely cover speakers' expenses, a conference must
| generate enough income in fees and attendance that it can afford to
| absorb those expenses.

Definitely.

| Take the typical STC annual conference, for example. That conference's
| 250 technical sessions feature about 500 speakers. To absorb the
| average cost of $1650 per speaker (4 hotel nights at $200/night and
| $500 for airfare, plus the loss of $350 in conference fee income per
| speaker), the conference would have to generate an additional $825K in
| income from the 2000 nonspeaker attendees. That would require adding
| $412 to the attendance fee, essentially doubling it. Raising the fee
| so significantly would also risk the loss of attendance, resulting in
| even higher fees.

I am confused about why 500 speakers are required for 250 sessions--does
each speaker get an understudy?--but let's assume that number is correct. By
my calculations, if instead of paying speakers' expenses, the conference
simply waived the conference fee, this largesse would add about $85 per
attendee. (If a conference actually needs 250 speakers for 250 sessions,
make that $42.50.)

Is this too much? I can't say. I can say, though, that Andrew Plato is
certainly not alone in thinking it's a bit over the top to pay for the
theater ticket when you're part of the cast. With one exception, I've never
spoken at an STC conference. Why would I when there are so many other
conferences that do not operate this way?

I have been an STC member for many years. I don't get a lot out of being a
member, but I maintain the membership out of a sense that it's "the right
thing to do," and I do speak fairly regularly at STC chapter meetings. The
chapters have always been exceptionally accommodating. For example, they
have always provided the meal/food/beverage/whatever complementary; those
chapters that are a good distance from SF, where I live, have always picked
up my travel tab; several chapters have reimbursed me for handouts. If this
works at the chapter level, I do not see why it cannot work on the regional,
national, and international level.

If I were a regular employee, perhaps I could just write a "business
justification" and get my management to cover the costs of an STC
conference. However, I run my own business, and I have to justify the costs
to myself. I am more than willing to offer some of my time and expertise to
STC at no charge, and I don't expect STC to function like WinWriters or any
of the other commercial conference organizations. However, the expectation
that I will pay for the right to present simply doesn't make sense to me.
None of the other supposed benefits (leads, networking opportunities, yada
yada) makes up for this.

| STC has traditionally operated on the volunteer model of conferences
| rather than the invited speaker model. Peers help peers pro bono.

Doesn't "pro bono" mean that you do not charge a fee for the service you
provide? I've never heard it used to mean you pay for the right to provide
the service.

Regards,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHELP MVP & Certified RoboHELP Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users