RE: The Business of Conferences

Subject: RE: The Business of Conferences
From: "Dave Bree" <dbree -at- athenet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:31:43 -0600

Andrew Plato wrote:

<- STC is a racket.

- STC does not accurately represent tech writing

- STC is disrespected professional society

- I think the entire organization should be dismantled

- Most people haven't a clue such an organization exists.>

And, Bob Morrisette asked, "What is there to say?"

Well, Andrew Plato is entitled to his skewed opinion. For a lot of TWs STC
serves many purposes. His statement that STC does not accurately represent
tech writing is ludicrous. Show me an organization that does a better job of
representing the tech writing community.

STC is a disrespected professional society?!?! According to who - Andrew
Plato?? Give me a break! Who are you speaking for other than yourself?

Andrew Plato thinks the entire organization should be dismantled. Such
thoughtless statements do not deserve a response. So that is all I'll say on
that.

Andrew Plato states that most people haven't a clue such an organization
exists. Perhaps not in Andrew Plato's little world. But 23,000-plus members
in chapters worldwide would disagree with you.

Perhaps you do not find any value from an organization such as STC, Andrew
Plato. That's fine. But to make such absurd, unfounded, and reckless
statements is a dis-service to many of the members of this list and the tech
writing community.