RE: FrameMaker Auto number and ToC

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Auto number and ToC
From: hedley_finger -at- myob -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:31:28 +1000

Rahel and others:

> Set up the autonumbering in the reference pages so that the ToC picks up
the
> numbering scheme from the reference pages instead of the contents.
>
> Can I have the autonumbered items in my document show up in the table of
> contents (generated)?

No, No, No!

I believe you are saying that on the reference pages you should set up
something like

<n+>< =0>\t <$paratext>\t <$pagenum> //ChapterTitleTOC para tag
<n>.<n+>\t <$paratext>\t <$pagenum> //SectionHeadingTOC para tag

I have even seen the reference page set up with

<$paratext>\t <$pagenum> //ChapterTitleTOC para tag; note NO
<$paranum> builder

but autonumbering set up in ChapterTitleTOC on the Numbering tab of the
Para Designer:

Chapter\ <n+>< =0>\t

This is also completely wrong.

Neither of these work and are unnecessary. The reference page only needs
to be set up as

<$paranum>\t <$paratext>\t <$pagenum> //ChapterTitleTOC para tag*
<$paranum>\t <$paratext>\t <$pagenum> //SectionHeadingTOC para
tag*
* Substitute <$paranumonly> for <$paranum> if you only want to pick
up the numbers
themselves and not any hardcoding, e.g. if autonumber is
"C:Chapter\ <n+>< =0>",
<$paranumonly> picks up only <n+>.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor