Re: Roboex32.dll

Subject: Re: Roboex32.dll
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:33:12 -0800 (PST)

> In the past, people have come to me and said "this online help is
> broken," and they've shown me an error message that says the
> Roboex32.dll file cannot be found. Then I've given them the
> file and told them to put it in their windows/system32 folder
> and everything works fine.

Cathleen...that dll MIGHT be installed by a prior application that
preceeded you in installing a help that needed the file, but no, it
is not normaly installed by windows.

I include it with the files that are installed with the help.
Actualy, RoboHelp suggests that it be installed in the same directory
as the the help file itself and to me it makes senses, since when the
help goes looking for the file, it first looks in the local
directory, and if it doesn't find it there, then the systems
directory. If you place it only in the Systems directory, and
sometime in the future, the file's version changes, a program
somewhere may be accessing a file with the wrong version.

Plus, to place it in the local directory, you just copy it there.
Windows requires a more difficult approach if you want to install it
in the systems directory. Place it in the local directory and your
developer will be much happier with you.

--- "McIntosh, Cathleen" <Cathleen -dot- McIntosh -at- vistacpg -dot- com> wrote:
> In the past, people have come to me and said "this online help is
> broken," and they've shown me an error message that says the
> Roboex32.dll file cannot be found. Then I've given them the
> file and told them to put it in their windows/system32 folder
> and everything works fine.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a file that is automatically installed on
> computer when windows is installed so that WinHelp can run. Is this
> so? If not, then do I need to deliver this file along with a help
> system and tell people where to put it? Also, why do people all of
> a sudden have this problem? Do they go in and delete this file
> because they don't know they need it? Or are they getting this
> message because they try to manually open an .hlp file, rather
> than from the help menu?

Because you implemented a feature in your help that suddenly required
it. Maybe you went with the Win2000 interface? That's one feature
that requires the dll. You could turn off all features that require
the dll, then you wouldn't have to deal with it.

> Just wondering so I can know if this is something I can prevent in
> the future or not.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying. I'm falling...with style."
-- Buzz Lightyear

http://shopping.yahoo.com/