RE: What qualifies a Senior Technical Writer?

Subject: RE: What qualifies a Senior Technical Writer?
From: Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:30:38 -0800

> QUESTION 2
>
> When jobs ask for three years experience, would 2.5 years + an intense
> summer of schooling qualify for such work, especially
> considering the work
> I've done here? Is it wrong to round-up the two years to
> three (making the
> assumption that the college work will be similar to actual working
> experience)?

When jobs ask for three years experience, they are asking for their ideal.
If you think you can do the job they are askig for, apply. And show that you
can do it in your resume. If I hadn't applied for jobs that I knew I could
do but for which I didn't have exactly what was advertised, I'd never have
gotten to where I am. I might never have even gotten into technical writing.
Who cares what they are asking for. It's what you can do that matters. And
it matters that you can convince them that you can do what they want (first
in your resume, later in your interview-if you get that far).

Christi Carew
ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com

RangeStar Wireless
www.rangestar.com

All communication contained in this e-mail is entirely my own and is not
necessarily endorsed by my co-workers or employer.