RE: TW jobs-how to choose

Subject: RE: TW jobs-how to choose
From: Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:44:01 -0800

> Does the possibility of having more
> responsibility and possibly more growth potential make
> up for a lower salary? Is working on a team a better
> way to learn than flying solo on a job?

I can't answer all your questions, but I can give my thoughts on some of
them.

The possibility of having more growth does do a lot for me, and it would
definitely have some influence on my decision. The general feel of the
company and what the company actually does also has an affect-do I get a
better "feel" from one or the other.
Also, think about what you might to work on long term. I worked on software
for a long time, but now I'm in hardware. They are very different. The
software I worked on was consumer oriented, while the hardware is
"business-to-business". My mind set changes a lot from one to the other.
At the software company, I learned about programming. At the hardware
company, I'm learning about engineering. Both are interesting, and I can't
say which I prefer. But if you have any idea, that can help tilt you one way
or the other.
I enjoy working in smaller groups or solo rather than as part of a bigger
doc team. However, my first few jobs were solo, and when I finally worked on
a team I learned SOO much. I would tend to recommend teams to newer writers.

Good luck.

Christi Carew
ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com

RangeStar Wireless
www.rangestar.com

All communication contained in this e-mail is entirely my own and is not
necessarily endorsed by my co-workers or employer.