RE: Failed technical communication - electronic lockers

Subject: RE: Failed technical communication - electronic lockers
From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:04:54 -0500

That would work too. In using arrows, I was think more of universal symbols
for an international audience. In airports and train and bus stations, you
are more likely to find people who speak a variety of languages.

As an example, a few months ago I was in Rome and Naples. I loved the new
self-serve train ticket machines. By flag and text, they offered you a
choice of language to start. The instructions I used were well written in
English. I checked routes, different types of train service, etc. I inserted
my cash (no credit card permitted) and got my tickets. The instructions were
clear as to train platform, car and seat numbers, and time of departure.

I recall on a previous trip to Italy, before these machines were installed,
I had to speak very bad Italian at the ticket counter. Too stressful for
vacations.

Incidentally, if you are ever in the Naples central station, be aware that
there are "characters" (likely con artists) who may tell you these machines
are not working and that you should follow them to get your tickets.
(Apparently, some of the machines are often broken...but not all of them.)
At first, I smiled politely and told him to mind his own business.
Ultimately, his persistence would made me shout and threaten to call the
police. That made him go away, but I saw other unsuspecting tourist follow
him blindly.

Similar things probably happen in the US and other countries. I'm not
picking on Italy. I love Italy.

Regards,
Roger Bell
Technical Writer