RE: Failed technical communication - electronic lockers

Subject: RE: Failed technical communication - electronic lockers
From: David Downing <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:41:37 -0500

<< In using arrows, I was think more of universal symbols for an
international audience.

By flag and text, they offered you a choice of language to start. >>

I forgot to mention that those flags were there, and that I didn't realize
until I'd given up on the whole thing that they indicated different
languages.

I'm one of the folks for whom those universal icons don't work too well.
I've had "low vision" all my life, and have adapted to it by thinking
verbally. So, verbal messages tend to be clearer to me than visual ones.

Note that I'm not talking about an inability to SEE the icons, which isn't a
problem if I can get close and study them at my leisure. Rather, my
ORIENTATION is toward the verbal, rather than the visual.