Re: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: Troublesome Writers
From: Chantel Brathwaite <cnbrath -at- cbel -dot- cit -dot- nih -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:54:14 -0500

"Miller, Lisa" wrote:

> Now, I'm going to go out on another limb and admit to you all that I too was a
> troublesome employee similiar to the woman that Andrew describes. It took about
> three jobs not going well (okay going really badly) until I finally said it
> can't always be "them." What is my responsibility in this? The journey to
> answer that question was very eye-opening to say the least.
>
> My answer was (wow, this is hard) that I have attention deficit disorder. For
> me it means that I was (and am without help) unable to put up an effective
> filter on my thoughts, passions, and impulses, so my actions were often
> inappropriate in ways that made my employer and peers uncomfortable. I have
> taken steps to overcome this disability, and I have been very successful since.

Lisa,

I just wanted to publicly say thank you for taking the risk of revealing something
personal about yourself, and thank you for adding your perspective on this topic.
I've been reading this thread with interest, and would not have thought of looking
at it this way if it weren't for your input. Although I am not a manager, I think
this is a good thing to remember when dealing with my co-workers and/or peers.
Again, thanks!

Chantel