Re: Word document template creation

Subject: Re: Word document template creation
From: "Jane S." <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:33:56 -0500

Hi gang

I'm really learning as I go--the big concern is that for once, these
templates will be deployed to other people, so it gives that extra bit of
challenge.

I am not using any numbered paragraph styles. I learned that the hard way, I
will not inflict them on anyone else. There is a permanent conflict between
numbered paragraph styl

I have also learned to make sure that each style does not have the
"Automatically Update" box checked.

I think it's a good idea to also have the Automatically update document
styles left unchecked as well. If they open up a document based on the
New.dot template, while they don't have that template on their system, there
may not be any conflicts. But (who knows?) quite possibly their Normal
template might throw something off. Does anyone know what happens when you
work with a document without having its underlying template? My experienced
guess is nothing, but I expect the unexpected.

I preferred to alter my Normal.dot but since it's been advised not to, I'll
change my habits with faith that a good reason will appear.

I have placed my preferred blank document template into the Templates and
Add-ins group; however, it doesn't seem to do anything (note: I didn't alter
any menus or buttons) . What else should I expect? Is it just as well to
remove it?

I would appreciate clarification on David's sage advice: "If you distribute
templates to desktops, put them in the same path so users can exchange
documents freely."

And lastly, a question about the styles that Word (and that
blessed-but-damned Word PDFMaker add-in) automates and sticks into your
documents whenever you build a TOC or a PDF: is there any way in the world
to limit the damage they do to your styles? My users will either be upset at
me or at the complexity, or they will start actually USING those styles and
the requirements docs could get ugly....

Thanks,

Jane