RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?

Subject: RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:03:06 -0800 (PST)

> > In the instructions, every procedure is
> > followed by the result .... However, I AM
> > interested in your thoughts.
>
> My thoughts are that it is:
>
> 1. Unnecessary except when writing for novices
> to tell them that when they click 'xyz' something
> called 'xyz' will appear on the screen -- especially
> when the next instruction ASSUMES the presence
> of the 'xyz' thing.

I think the concept of Novice is a relative thing. Someone who would
be an expert when using a simple application might come off as a
novice when using a very complex application. Therefore, the more
complex the application, the more I write in the style that would be
used for the level of application.

> 2. Inconsistent with good structured writing
> practice to insert things that are not instructions
> into a list of instructions.

Again, when an application can display a variety of different screens
depending on fractors that are not obvious, or may be dependant on
variables that were entered by someone else, I think it is important
to include the confirtmation that what you expect to receive, you do
receive.

This needs to be said over and over...you write for the reader, and
you write for the situation. Rules (such as the current one on number
of steps) should be used as guidesm not as hard and fast
requirements. IN the case of the step numbers, 7 steps may be the
maximum for a certain level of complexity. OTOH, it is possible that
you have a process that is SO complex that the person might loose
their way after three steps.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying. I'm falling...with style."
-- Buzz Lightyear

http://shopping.yahoo.com/