RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?

Subject: RE: Displays versus Appears-Which One?
From: "Michael West" <mike -dot- west -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:37:07 +1100

Nicole wrote:

> I was not ever taught that it [passive voice] was totally
> forbidden. But many writers to this thread said that it was,
> or at least that was my understanding of their posts.

I suppose anyone is free to say anything about anything,
but I would think you would want to pick your authorities
a little more carefully.

Some people who contribute to this list seem to have trouble
with basic English syntax, and I think their opinions on what
is and isn't "forbidden" are worth about what we pay for them.

Nobody who knows anything about the English language would
ever say that using passive voice constructions was "wrong."
There are times when they serve to obfuscate, and times when
they work just fine, and our job is to know the difference.

Luckily, it's easy to find expert advice and sharp, clear writing.

--
MW