References for "The Magic Number" and more examples of the number 7

Subject: References for "The Magic Number" and more examples of the number 7
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:25:41 -0800

For a discussion on optimum memory and structure for information retrieval
with web page design, see:

http://www.research.microsoft.com/users/marycz/chi981.htm

Other good articles that reference the Miller paper ("The Magic Number")
mentioned in a previous posting:

http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~epritch1/stm98.htm
http://cogsci.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Foundations.Cognition/0033.h
tml

OK, as someone requested off list, here are a few more examples of the use
of the number 7

>From the Legends of King Arthur:
"At seven years of age, the noble children..."
"...which lasted seven days. They numbered seven in all..."
"Before long, a body of seven hundred strong..."
"Meliades, after seven years, married again."
"Tristram had now been out seven days..."
"...had seven companions with him...that had seven years sought..."
"...throughout seven Kings' realms, but I shall slay him..."
"There he held it seven Easters..."

>From Greek and Roman mythology:
"...and formed the seven-chorded lyre..."
"This tribute consisted of seven youths and seven maidens..."
"To all this let me add I have seven sons and seven daughters, and look for
sons-in-law and daughter, with her two children? I have seven times as
many...Satiate your hard heart, while I follow to the grave my seven...
"The statue, more than seven feet high..."
"Seven wealthy towns contend for Homer dead..."
"While he swam for seven days and seven nights..."
"...for seven placid days in winter..."
"...to the celebrated expedition of the Seven against Thebes..."
"in the sky, though their number was seven, only six stars are visible"
(referring to the Pleides constellation, also known as the "Seven Sisters"
and recognized throughout many cultures)
"...lived seven hundred years..."
"and refused passage. Seven days he lingered about..."
"...discharge the waters through seven mouths into the sea..."

No more, I promise.

Donn Le Vie