Subject: Summary: Word 97 style questions
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:16:27 -0500

Hallo:

Thanks to ALL for the great and timely responses. Answers interspersed
below. However, here's what I did:

I created new styles using the names I want and matching the styles that
exist with names I don't want. I went through the document (thank the
Heavens it is short) and manually retagged all my paragraphs using the new
style names. Then, using organizer, I deleted as many of the old styles as I
could.

(If anybody knows why the styles I deleted seem to keep coming back, every
so often, I'd appreciate it. The styles making an unwanted return include
non-MS-required styles.)

I lived with having in my document the nine heading styles that I do not
want or use. I can live with one such unused but resident style (i.e.
Normal) but it's annoying having nine of these headings, too, and others. I
want to be a tech writer at Microsoft just so I can force my styles on
others (billions of others)!

I painstakingly went through my document and manually positioned,
repositioned, positioned again, and adjusted all my graphics until I was
happy. Aaaargh.

Anyway, a summary of the responses is below: