Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals?

Subject: Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals?
From: Chantel Brathwaite <cnbrath -at- cbel -dot- cit -dot- nih -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:29:06 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

> As I noted the last time this topic came up, I think that a lot of us got into tech writing precisely because we are watch-and-do learners rather than read-and-follow learners. We enjoy figuring it out and explaining it to others, but it in no way follows that we enjoy reading and following directions written by someone else.

Chantel writes:

Dick, thanks for postulating the watch-and-do/read-and-follow theory. I think for me it is true. For most products, I first like to try and figure out how it works. Then I scan the instructions to fill in the gaps. I like instructions that are easy to follow with lots of well drawn graphics. Then, when I'm done, I put it
with the rest of my manuals -- in a little drawer in the kitchen -- in case something wierd happens with the product or I need to get a replacement part.

I think that most people don't read manuals because 1) they think they're boring 2) they are familiar enough with the type of product that they can figure out what to do, 3) they think they're boring, 4) the manual is confusing, 5) they don't have time, 6) they just want to do one simple thing and don't care about the products
swiss army knife-like features, or 7) they just don't wanna because ... they think they're boring. So they say "I don't need your stinkin' manual... *thhhpt*" But in actuality, I think manual usage falls on a continuum. Some read the manual from cover to cover. Some only look at the manual in case of an emergency such as
when technical support is closed, or their techie friend -- you know the one knows about the product because s/he actually read the manual -- is out of town. (In case of emergency, break glass, open manual, turn to index.) I think most users fall somewhere in-between those two extremes.

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.