Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals?

Subject: Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals?
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:34:38 +1100

Chantel Brathwaite wries:

> I think that most people don't read manuals because ...

and goes on to list a few reasons, omitting what
seems to me to be the most obvious.

Most people don't "read" manuals because the
best manuals aren't designed to be "read." They're
designed to be used when needed, hurriedly,
and then cast aside until next time.

The ones that deliver the goods when needed
are the ones I consider "best." I don't ask for
a good read from a manual; that's what bookshops
are for.

"They're boring" doesn't make sense to me.
A manual is supposed to answer questions.
If it fails to answer the question you need
answered, then being "boring" isn't the problem.
And if you don't have a question you need answered,
why are you "reading" it?

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.